subsist v : support oneself; "he could barely exist on such a low wage"; "Can you live on $2000 a month in New York City?"; "Many people in the world have to subsist on $1 a day" [syn: exist, survive, live]
Subsistence is the food necessary to sustain life.
The following is a list of subsistence techniques:
- Hunting and Gathering techniques, also known as Foraging:
- Horticulture — plant cultivation, based on the use of simple tools.
- subsistence agriculture — agricultural cultivation involving continuous use of arable (crop) land, and is more labor-intensive than horticulture.
- Guerrilla gardening - plant cultivation on (unused) area's of land that is not owned by the cultivator himself, but is squat instead
- Pastoralism, the raising of grazing animals:
abide, be, be alive, be animate, be extant, be found, be in existence, be left, be met with, be present, be the case, be there, bide, breathe, carry on, continue, continue to be, cope, defeat time, defy time, draw breath, dwell, eke out, endure, exist, extend, fetch breath, get by, go on, happen to be, have being, have life, have place, hold, hold on, hold out, keep, keep afloat, keep on, last, last long, last out, live, live and breathe, live on, live through, maintain, make ends meet, make out, manage, move, obtain, occur, perdure, perennate, persist, prevail, remain, respire, rest, run, run on, scrape along, stand, stay, stay on, survive, sustain, tarry, tide over, walk the earth, wear, wear well